SOCK MONKEY HAT
worsted weight yarn. I used pattons "canadiana"
in grey, cream and red.
Black buttons (2)
guage?? I will have to make a guage swatch and come back to this. The finished hat fits a 3 month old baby, but the pattern will be anywhere from newborn to 3 months.
Start with cream color by ch 4, join to first ch to form ring (or use magic ring).
1.ch2 6dc in ring. Join to top of ch 29 (UPDATE: OMIT THIS ROUND, THIS SEEMS TO MAKE THE HAT TOO POINTY. START INSTEAD ON ROW 2 WITH 12 DC FOR THE FIRST ROUND AFTER THE MAGIC RING. NOTE THAT CH2 COUNTS AS FIRST DC.)
2.ch2 2dc in each dc (12 st) join every round unless otherwise noted
3.ch 2 (2dc in next dc, dc in next dc) 6 times (18 sts)
4.ch2 (2dc in next st, dc in next two sts) 6 times (24 sts)
5.ch2 (2dc in next st, dc in next three sts) 6 times (30 sts)
change to red yarn ch 1
6.ch 1 (sc in each st around) 2 times ( you will have 2 rows of red in sc)
7.change color to grey ch 2
dc in same st, dc all the way around. Continue in pattern until 6 rows of dc are done.
break off yarn
earflap: (make two)
start by attaching grey yarn to hat
1.dc 11, ch 2 turn
2.dc2tog, dc in next 7 st dc2tog ch 2 turn
3.dc2tog, dc in next 5 st, dc2 tog ch 2 turn
4.dc2tog, dc in nex 3 st, dc2tog ch 2 turn
5.dc2tog, dc in nex st, dc2tog ch 2 turn
6.dc2tog twice. break off yarn.
use grey. ch 2
1. 6sc in second ch from hook
do not join
2. 2sc in each of the 6 previous sc. (12 sts)
3. (2sc in next st, sc in next two sts) 6 times (18 sts)
4. 18 sc around (2 times). Break yarn leaving 12" at least for sewing on. attach using darning needle.
with red ch 15
1. sc in second ch from hook, and in each stitch across. sc a second time in last st.
2. working on the under side of initial chain sc all the way sc twice in last st.
3. change to cream yarn. sc all the way around twice, doing two sc in each of the "corner" stitches. Leave a long tail for sewing to hat.
Attach black buttons for eyes using cream colored yarn, or thread.
I used four strands of each color to attach tie strings on to the earflaps and braided them, then trimmed the ends.
Here are some more variations of color that you could do....the sky is the limit!
Hope you have fun with this pattern! If you would like to purchase a pre made hat, please visit us on facebook at Knotty Knotty crochet
For a list of crochet stitches and how to make them go here.
**You may use this pattern to sell items, but I request that a link or credit be given back to this site** This is a ©Knotty Knotty Crochet pattern, and may not under any circumstances be sold in whole or in part. Duplication is by written permission only.